Engine tick noise that comes and goes

Rwies
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco

Engine tick noise that comes and goes

Post by Rwies »

Hi Guys, so last weekend i went to pismo and noticed after a trip out in the dunes that the engine started making a loud ticking noise. After letting it sit for a bit it would go away and come back but after a few trips out it was nonstop. Today i fired it up and heard the noise for about a minute and it went away completely. Im figuring its either a stuck or collapsed lifter, it definately is not an exhaust leak. Anyway i was wondering if you guys had any other ideas as to what it could be. The engine seams to run just fine. Prior to experiencing this issue i did notice a noisy pcv valve, i replaced it but the replacement pcv valve was just as noisy, not sure if this could be related anyhow.

If the noise does turn out to be a lifter i figured i should replace them all along with a new more aggresive smog legal cam, would i notice much of a difference in performance with the crappy speed density computer?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Engine tick noise that comes and goes

Post by Rmc »

Just for the heck of it check all the rockers and rocker studs to make sure nothing came loose. It could be lifter noise, flex plate scattering, or rod knock. Pull the starter out get a flashlight and inspect the the flex plate isn't cracking up on you.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

If it is a top end tick then check to see if you have a fram oil filter. Ford and many other manufacturers have TSB's out on fram filters limiting oil supply to the top end. I have changed out a few that had this problem. shot in the dark but an easy fix.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I cant stand fram! I had dry start issues and switched to wix. Havent had the issue sense.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Ill give that a shot, I'am using a Fram filter. Just put it on before the trip but always ran fram. Had no idea they had issues with restricting oil flow. Good to know!
hobbyturnedobsession

I did some research on filters. Frams are no bueno. They use a perforated cardboard filter with no anti drainback valve. Their tough guard has the valve but thats the only difference. I know Wix and i believe (not 100%) and motorcraft along with k&n oil filters are made by baldwin. Btw the onlh difference between a wix and a k&n oil filter is the 1" nut k&n has on the base of theirs. You pay an additional 9 bucks for a 1" nut and a sticker that says k&n.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Hmm. Mine ticks for 10-20 seconds after startup when its cold. I'm pretty sure I have a fram on there now. My 04 f150 did the same thing and I had an amsoil filter on it...
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Mine does also for 5 seconds or less at startup and ive ran a bunch of different filters with the same result. I run synthetic 40w and an additional quart of lucas oil stabilizer but it didnt help.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Isn't piston slap the normal mechanics cop out for this issue? Hehe
hobbyturnedobsession

Its most likely valvetrain.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Yeah it definitely sounds like valve train
hobbyturnedobsession

Itd either be the rockers or lifters. What year again? I have hydrolic roller lifters and i had one fail.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Rmc wrote:Isn't piston slap the normal mechanics cop out for this issue? Hehe
Haha! I heard somebody tell me that about their 5.3-liter LS in their Chevy.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I think the K&N oil filters also have a better spring than the Wix filters. I'm running a K&N oil filter on my Bronco because I got it for cheap when I bought a bunch of Royal Purple engine oil.

I was worried about running 10W40 in my 351 but it started up just fine without any ticking at all and it's run really great since I changed the oil back in December. It's handled daily driving really well and I'm not easy on it by any means.

Is the oil pressure dropping at all? A mechanical gauge will tell you more than the factory \\ N O R M A L // gauge.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Also, I know this might sound silly but, is the oil level fine? Back when my engine used to leak oil, if it got a bit too low it would start ticking a little bit. Once I'd fill it to spec, it would run perfect.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

It's a 93 so I believe that it would have a flat tappet hydraulic lifter. I just did a oil change and the oil level was spot on...double checked when the noise started and it was good.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I did some research on filters. Frams are no bueno. They use a perforated cardboard filter with no anti drainback valve. Their tough guard has the valve but thats the only difference. I know Wix and i believe (not 100%) and motorcraft along with k&n oil filters are made by baldwin. Btw the onlh difference between a wix and a k&n oil filter is the 1" nut k&n has on the base of theirs. You pay an additional 9 bucks for a 1" nut and a sticker that says k&n.
I was just at 4WP anbd the K&N is only $9.99... the WIX is a dollar? :D

I like the K&N's for my bike because they have the hole for safety wire in them. If you were to safety wire you filter... it would be a nice thing to have. Beats a hose clamp... I know... NO one safety wires their off road trucks filter but its a thought.
hobbyturnedobsession

Wow vato zone wants i believe 15.99 or something.
Rwies

Post by Rwies »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Is the oil pressure dropping at all? A mechanical gauge will tell you more than the factory \\ N O R M A L // gauge.
Agui my oil pressure gauge recently broke, it goes to max pressure after driving for a minute. If i fire it up and tap the gauge cluster glass it jumps up. Thinking about just getting an autometer electric oil pressure gauge. If i go that route do i need a special sending unit or will the one supplied with the gauge work? I only ask because it looks like im limited on space.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Generally there's a call out for a guage to function, like a 0-30ohm sending unit requires a 0-30 ohm gauge ect. The gauges value will correspond to the resistance rating of the sending unit. That's how fuel floats are anyway I'm assuming its the same with others. Water temp, oil press ect. But I could be wrong.